September 3, 2009

the countertrend

I thought one good thing was coming out of this horrible recession: people seemed to be interested in doing good, in being efficient and, most importantly, responsible (perhaps to make up for years of our reckless industrial society).

However last night, I bumped into yet-another-reality-tv-show that was a setback to my original thought.

Set in Detroit, the auto capital of the world, "CRASH COURSE" consists of a series of driving challenges in which the participants use old clunkers to drive recklessly (there is no real driving ability required in their obstacles). Although I can certainly understand the momentary thrill it provides these stunt-men-and-women-wanna-be one can argue on the kind of example it is setting for younger drivers (ABC seems like an odd choice, I was thinking more SPIKE?) and in the middle of an energy crisis.



My question is... Could we possibly find more constructive and responsible ways to recycle our old cars? Perhaps in the area of energy? housing? education? and providing jobs for the unemployed? Something to ponder... Maybe we are not as good, efficient and responsible as we could/should be.